pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Make your own coasters

Let me go ahead and get this out...I am a Pinterest addict! When my children are in bed, I like to sit down with a nice glass of wine and pin away. One day, I will get around to trying all of my 1,000+ pins. It got even worse when they released their app for Android. Now when I go to Hobby Lobby, it is not just for the items on my list, but for every craft I am able to pull up on my Pinterest app before my kids start telling me they are bored.

As the seasons are changing, so is my home decor. I love putting up all of my summery, beachy items and replacing them with down comforters, dark autumn colors and big plushy pillows for the couches. Then I realized something, hello, why are there still sky blue seashell coasters on my table? How did I miss something so small yet something I see everyday. Yes, I am that mom that is always telling her kids to use a coaster. Even my 2 year old puts his sippy cup on one. Never too soon to start, right?

So when I saw this craft on Pinterest, I knew I had to try it. It has to be one of the most simplest things in the world.

Here is the list of things that you will need:

4- 4x4 white tiles (I got mine from Lowes for 16¢ a piece)
scrapbook paper
scissors or a paper cutter
mod podge
sponge or paint brush
clear acrylic spray paint
felt



Clean off your tile with a dry cloth to make sure its free of debris. Then paint on a layer of mod podge. Let it dry for about 1 minute until a little tacky.

Trace the tile onto the back of the scrapbook paper and cut it out. Place the scrapbook paper on the tile right side up. Now paint a layer of mod podge over the paper. Once it dries, paint on 2 more layers and let it dry completely.


For this step, you need to move outside. Place your tiles on some newspaper, take your spray acrylic and spray a light layer over the tiles, let dry. Spray on 2 more layers, letting dry between each layer. The acrylic will make your coasters waterproof!
Once they are dry....you are finished! Since I have a wooden coffee table, I glued small felt squares on the bottom of the coasters so they do not scratch the table. 

Now go enjoy a fabulous cup of coffee...you deserve it!


3 comments:

  1. Definitely gonna try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! When you do, let me know how they turn out! Or post a picture on fb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make these for my mom and I maybe for gifts too thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete