pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Lattes at home

Whenever I see this sign pop up in the windows of Starbucks my heart starts racing. Who doesn't get excited when anything pumpkin starts popping up everywhere? The one thing I hate about the coffee shop is that I am usually totting around 2 kids, one is usually touching everything in sight while the other is asking "what is this" "can I have that", while the lines are long and I am shelling out $5 for a treat that is usually gulped down in the van while I am chauffeuring the kids somewhere. I rarely get the time to sit and enjoy my latte that I have been waiting months for. 



So I figured there had to be a way to replicate the pumpkin spice latte in my own home, so I can enjoy that sweet, warm, slightly spicy treat whenever I want to. Trust me, this has become one of my favorite things to wake up to....that and the slightly cooler weather on the East coast. Now if it just got cold enough to pull out 
the scarves!




Homemade pumpkin spice latte

Ingredients:

1/2 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup hot brewed, strong coffee
2 tablespoons half & half cream
1 teaspoon granulated white sugar, or more to taste
whipped cream
ground nutmeg

Directions:

1. In a saucepan whisk together milk, pumpkin and brown sugar on medium heat, stirring constantly, until steaming. Remove from heat and add in vanilla and spice. Whisk vigorously for about 15 seconds until the mixture is frothy.
2. Pour the pumpkin milk into a tall mug or glass. Add hot coffee. Pour in the cream. Add a teaspoon of sugar. Stir, and taste. You can add more sugar, if desired.
3. Add whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice, or both!
Makes about 2 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment