pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Vegan Blueberry Muffins



I know, I know...when a lot of people see the word vegan they tend to shun away from a recipe. I personally like to try out vegan recipes because 1) most of them are healthier and 2) I run out of milk and eggs A LOT! Those are staples in my children's diet and we go through them crazy fast.

For teacher appreciation day I wanted to send something in for my oldest sons teachers for breakfast. Now a days you never know what people are allergic too, wont or cant eat or if they are just picky eaters. I chose a simple recipe that I knew couldn't go wrong, blueberry muffins.

My son and I made a big batch of them, placed them in a cute little box with a ribbon and off to school he went. They loved them and said it was a nice break from the normal breakfast of coffee and more coffee. If I was a first grade teacher with 24 kids...I would have a pot plugged in sitting on my desk.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 cups of brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp backing powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp of coconut oil
2/3 cup of milk, I used almond milk
1 tbsp of lemon juice
and of course blueberries, whoever many you like

Preheat our over to 375.
In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients.
In smaller bowl, mix the milk and vinegar. Let it set for about 5 minutes.
Add the milk/vinegar mixture and the oil to the dry ingredients.
Mix lightly until everything comes together.
Add your blueberries. 
My muffins turned a little blue from the juice of the berries!

Scoop into your muffin tin
Bake for about 15 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy!





post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment