pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin Brownies

Everything taste better covered in chocolate. Chocolate is my best friend and my worst enemy at the same time. It definitely is not safe around me. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate any chocolate will do. There are times where nothing will crave my sweet tooth other than something smothered in chocolate. I can roam through the refrigerator looking for something semi-healthy to curve that craving, but I eventually cave and turn to my favorite chocolate dessert recipe. 

Brownies. But these are not just your ordinary brownies. During the holidays I do like to add pumpkin into them. Pumpkin is one of those items that when I see it in the grocery store for the first time mid-September-ish, I stock up. I hate that it is a seasonal item at most stores, because I could use it all year round, just like Eggnog. Oh do not get me started on my eggnog addiction. 

Not only is pumpkin healthy, I love the slight spiciness and soft sweetness it gives ordinary food. I hope you give this a try and do not blame me if it becomes a staple in your house!


Pumpkin Brownies


3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3  cups of semisweet chocolate chips
3 extra-large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Grease a 9x13 pan and dust with cocoa powder. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
Melt the butter in a bowl set over simmering water. Add 2 cups of the chocolate chips, remove from the heat, and stir until the chocolate melts. Set aside to cool completely. 
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, coffee, and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cooled chocolate. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, 1 cup of the chocolate chips, and the walnuts. Fold the flour mixture into the batter until just combined. Pour into the pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the center is puffed (the top may crack). The inside will still be very soft. Cool to room temperature before you cut them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment