pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Chocolate Chip Muffins




Let me tell you…chocolate is the root of all evil, well  for me it is. I cannot go a day without some kind of chocolate. I know, I know, it is probably the one major reason why I actually work out. When I say I need it every day, my chocolate consumption usually consist of a small handful of dark chocolate chips out of the jar. I was cursed with an insatiable sweet tooth.

I try to find ways to incorporate chocolate into everyday foods I make but are still relatively healthy for me. The one thing that is always handy around my house are muffins. When I get in the mood for muffins, I bake until my heart is content, leave some out to eat and freeze the rest. Then wherever I want one, I can take it out, pop that baby in the microwave for a few seconds and voila, a nice warm muffin in about a minute!

So when I took my treasured chocolate chip muffin recipe and healthified, yep just made that up, it I was so impressed with how wonderful it turned out. I promise, these will not let you down and will satisfy any sweet tooth.

Here is what you are going to need:

·         1 cup whole wheat flour
·         ½ cup of good quality cocoa powder
·         2 tsp of baking powder
·         ¼ tsp of salt
·         ½ cup of sugar
·         1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
·         3 large eggs
·         1 tsp of good vanilla
·         ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce
·         ½ cup of dark chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350. Place your liners in the pan, this recipe makes about 16 muffins.

In a large bowl, sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the sugar and combine.

In a stand mixer, begin mixing yogurt, eggs, vanilla and applesauce.

Add the dry ingredients and mix until they are just combined. Do not over mix.

Fold about ½ of the chocolate chips in by hand.

Using an ice cream scoop, fill each liner with batter. With the other half of the chocolate chips, sprinkle them atop all the muffins.

Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Let them cool for a bit and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment