pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Skinny Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies


So one thing I have tried to do this year is to take my recipes and try to make them healthier. Not only that, my youngest boy has started to rebel and not eat his vegetables. I have never had to deal with this before. My oldest is one of the most adventurous eaters I have ever known. He is always up for tasting anything once....sometimes twice just to make sure he does or doesn't like it. My youngest, well lets just say that there have been many nights he has sat at the table for 30 or so minutes after everyone else has been dismissed just because he wont take one bite of his vegetables. I have never met such a strong-willed child ever. 

So, I still continue with the one bite rule, since he is only 3 I try not to force too much on him, but I have also got a little sneakier with adding vegetable puree to foods that I know that he will eat. Brownies, what kid turns down brownies...not mine!  Now once you find out what the main ingredient is in these brownies, don't put up your nose and stop reading. I promise you, these are some of the best tasting brownies I have had. Now they aren't going to be your super chunky, double fudge, gooey, caramel centered brownies, but they will satisfy that sweet tooth amazingly. 

Black Bean Brownie Ingredients:

1 Can Black Beans
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Eggwhites (or 3 Eggs in total)
1/3 Cup Pumpkin Puree (or unsweetened apple sauce)
1/2 Cup Natural Cocoa Powder
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Honey
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1 1/2 Tsp Instant Coffee
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (more if you wish)

Peanut Butter Swirl Ingredients:
1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
1 Tbsp Honey
Pinch of Salt
Dash of Vanilla Extract

Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
Place all black bean brownie ingredients into your food processor and blend until smooth.
Spray an 8×8 baking dish with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
Evenly spread batter into baking dish.




On your stove-top melt peanut butter swirl ingredients and mix.
Dollop peanut butter swirl mixture with a spoon spaced out about an inch from each other onto the brownie batter.


Pull a knife back and forth through the batter creating your swirls.
Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.



Remove from oven when baked and let set in the baking dish for about 10 minutes.
Gently cut brownies, serve and enjoy!
To store brownies it is best to first let them cool completely and then store them in a sealed tight container in the refrigerator.




No comments:

Post a Comment